sitemap contact terms

Greeklanguage seperatorEnglish (United Kingdom)Russianlanguage seperatorChinese

21.11.17
 > VILLAGES > Pyrgos


NEWSLETTER

Pyrgos


The churches

In the castle

EISODIA TIS THEOTOKOU
It is the largest and one of the most important churches on the island. It dates back to the 17th century. It has a remarkable chancel screen with sculpted figures of saints, which intertwine with floral decorations. On Assumption eve, according to custom, an Epitaphios is being adorned, there is a procession and then people sing the praises of the Virgin Mary on their way to Theotokaki.
AGHIA TRIADA
It rises at the centre of the castle and was built as a basilica with a dome. It was destroyed by an earthquake in 1956 and rebuilt thanks to the efforts of the late Liza Patinioti-Marinou, President of the Association of Pyrgos Residents in Thera, and the parishioners. The church remained closed until 1997. Then, thanks to the joint efforts by the Community of Pyrgos Kallistis, the Community Council, the Second Ephorate of Byzantine Antiquities and the Holy Metropolis of Thera, it was inaugurated as an Ecclesiastical collection.
THEOTOKAKI
It is located at the northern part of the castle and is considered to be one of the oldest churches on the island (14th century). I was renovated in 1663 and its chancel screen is of remarkable art. According to custom, under the icon of the Virgin Mary to the right of the sanctum, in a locked glove compartment, the icon of the Virgin Mary used at the Epitaph is left to rest after the Assumption on August 15. The original icon was stolen in 1983. It is celebrated on the 15th of August, while there is a feast during the Novena of the Virgin Mary.
AGHIOS IAKOVOS
A pointed, vaulted basilica, to the east of the castle, built in 1805. It was used by the Catholics during the Turkish occupation, as they were not allowed to build their own churches. It is celebrated on October 23st.
AGHIOS IOANNIS THEOLOGOS
You will see this church to the left, after the castle's gate. It dates back to 1600. It was renovated in 1790 and is a glebe of the Patmos monastery. It is celebrated on September 26th.
AGHIOS GEORGIOS
Built in 1680, this vaulted basilica had many processed marbles which were probably used later to decorate the roofs of the castle. It was repaired in 2002.

Outside the castle
CHRISTOS (METAMORFOSI TOU SOTIROS)
Its bell tower stands out from a distance and the church rises imposingly at the centre of the village. It is a three-ailed basilica, with an octagonal cupola internally and externally, the only one on the island, which is why it presents a considerable architectural interest. Renovated in 1953, it is celebrated on August 6.
AGHIOS NIKOLAOS
It is a basilica with a dome and one of the five parishes of Pyrgos. It is located outside the entrance of the castle. It was founded in 1660 by Bishop Parthenios Gavalas of Thera and repaired in 1980. It is celebrated on December 6.
AGHIA THEODOSIA
It is located outside the entrance of the castle, to the west of the Tsividis family neoclassical mansion, and is the patron of the walls. It was built in 1639, renovated in 1857 and devastated by an earthquake in 1956. The contemporary church was built at its place in 1965. It is celebrated on May 29. The memory of Aghios Philippos, Aghii Gerasimos and Artemios and Aghios Efstathios is also celebrated here on November 14, October 20 and September 20, respectively.
AGHIOS ANTONIOS
A vaulted, single-aisled basilica with an episcopal throne of a simple form, located at the small square of Estia. Its chancel screen is exquisite and was repaired in 1992. It is celebrated on December 12 with a procession of the icon around the village and a feast.
AGHIOS SRYRIDONAS
A single-aisled, vaulted basilica, with an exquisite chancel screen that was repaired in 1992, located at the small square of Estia. It is celebrated on December 12.
AGHIOS DIMITRIOS
A vaulted basilica with icons dating from the 17th century, situated to the southwest of the village. It is celebrated on November 1.
AGHIOS AVERKIOS
This vaulted basilica is located near the central square and is celebrated with a feast on October 22. This saint is associated with vine dressers and the opening of new wine barrels in celebrated on that day. Aghia Paraskevi is also celebrated at this church on July 26.
AGHIOS SAMPSON
Located close to the elementary school, to the east of the settlement. It has a cupola, vaults and remarkable icons. It is celebrated on June 27 and August 27, the day of Aghios Fanourios.
AGHIOS IEROTHEOS
It is situated near Estia of Pyrgos, opposite Donna's House, and was built in 1957. It is celebrated on October 4.
AGHIOS SAVVAS
A single-aisled, vaulted basilica to the north of the village, on the door of which one can see marbles from the chancel screens of Byzantine churches of Mesa Vouno. Celebrated on December 5.
AGHIOS CHRISTOFOROS
Located to the north of Pyrgos, it was built at a point where there was a shrine dedicated to Aghios Charalambos. Its excellent location provides panoramic views of the courtyard, where there is a reservoir for rainwater. It is a single-aisled, vaulted basilica, with two aisled that were added later. It is celebrated on May 9.
TAXIARCHIS
A single-aisled, vaulted basilica on the southwest side of the village, in the courtyard of which there is a trough. The village's women used to wash their clothes here during times of drought. It is celebrated on November 8.
EVANGELISMOS
It is located to the west of Pyrgos, along the main road. It is a simple, vaulted basilica with an aisle for a loft and an icon of the Virgin Mary that is considered to be exquisite. It is celebrated on March 25.
AGHIOS ANTONIOS
Located to the northwest, opposite Evangelismos, inside an estate that belongs to Patmou monastery. It is celebrated on January 17 and is a vaulted basilica with a loft which was added later.
AGHIOS ANDREAS
Located to the west of Pyrgos, it is an elegant church following the vaulted, cross-in-square basilica style It is celebrated on November 30.
AGHII THEODORI
It is situated inside an estate that belongs to Zorzos family, and it was rebuilt thanks to their continuous efforts. The chancel table and parts of old marbles and tufas, which decorated a small older church, were revealed. It is celebrated on February 8.
AGHII APOSTOLI (Livades)
A single-aisled, vaulted basilica in the area of Livades, south of the village. It was built in 1872, with a cave edifice for feasts and a basin in its courtyard. You should definitely visit it and enjoy the serene landscape. It is celebrated on June 30.
AGHIOS IOANNIS ("ftochos", meaning poor)
It is located south of Pyrgos, beneath the road of Aghia Faneromeni. It is a cave chapel, celebrated on September 23.
ΑGHIA FANEROMENI
South, along the new Pyrgos-Emporeio road, you will come upon this chapel dating from 1872, which follows the single-aisled, vaulted basilica style. It is celebrated on August 16.
AGHIOS GEORGIOS (Katefyo)
Built since 1754, this chapel is located on the rocks of Prophitis Ilias, west of Pyrgos. It was originally a single-aisled, vaulted basilica, but extensions and additions took place later. Above the church, there are ruins of many vaulted constructions which are believed to have been monk residences. According to tradition, a princess found shelter once in the chapel, trying to escape from the pirates who were chasing her. It is celebrated on April 23.
AGHIOS NIKOLAOS O KISSIRAS (Konaki)
Located to the east of Pyrgos, it is a glebe to Prophitis Ilias monastery. It is a three-aisled basilica with a cupola and a narthex, and it was built in 1764. The sanctum with the marble episcopal throne, which is an excellent piece of popular art, stands out on the inside. It housed the tomb of Dionysios, Episcope of Thera. It was the seat of the island's Holy Metropolis (Konaki means "the residence of the Metropolite"). The annomination of Kissiras is due to the fact that the whole surrounding area consists of kissiri (ponce). It is celebrated on December 6.
AGHII APOSTOLI (Martinous)
It is located inside the courtyard of the old School of Pyrgos, at a location called Martinou, which was founded in 1803. Earlier in the past, it was a cave, situated outside the school's courtyard. It is celebrated on June 29 and 30.
AGHIOS GEORGIOS (Lagadiotissa)
It is a glebe to Prophitis Ilias monastery, located southeast, in a dell. Remarkable icons dating from the 18th century were found in the chapel. During the saint's celebration day, on April 23, a procession takes place.
AGHIA EKATERINI
It was built in 1660, following a single-aisled, vaulted basilica style, and it also belongs to the glebes of Prophitis Ilias monastery. It is celebrated on November 25.

Source: Oi ekklisies tou xoriou mas (The churches of our village), Kallisti Editions.

Πύργος οικισμός - Εκκλησίες
Πύργος οικισμός - Εκκλησίες

social Twitter YouTube Facebook


 

Large map

0A ammoudi eleftherakis1

view