sitemap contact terms

Greeklanguage seperatorEnglish (United Kingdom)Russianlanguage seperatorChinese

20.09.17
 > VILLAGES > Oia


NEWSLETTER

Oia


Walking around

Oia is characterized by its harmoniously combined architectural "units". Like Imerovigli and Therasia, it has expanded linearly along the edge of the cliff in a 50-acre area.

article horizontal

The close-knit neighborhoods with the rock-hewn houses and the so-called "captains' houses" (a type of mansion quite common throughout the Mediterranean) look stunningly beautiful in their multicolor variety: white, ochre, burgundy, purple, blue, pink, red, and grey.

The hub of the village's life is the main marble-paved pedestrian street. The Venetian district, built at the site of the old Goulas –a watchtower used during the rule of the Westerners– was ruined by the earthquakes.
The meeting point for locals and foreigners alike is Platsani square, where people gaze at the Caldera and the village. In one direction, the main marble-paved pedestrian street leads to the Goulas. It is lined with shops, cafés, restaurants. Walking towards the Goulas, you will see the church of Eisodia tis Theotokou (the Presentation of Virgin Mary), the clock built in 1952 and the blue coppola of Aghios Nikolaos (St. Nicholas).
In the other direction, the pedestrian street leads to Perivolas.

INFO

  • At the northeast part of Oia, Matthew Mavrommatis opened his mines in 1928; ships were loaded at Ammoudi bay.
  • It is worth taking part to the festivity held on September 8th in Kira Panagia, outside Oia, way up on the mountain.
Οία οικισμός - Περιήγηση
Οία οικισμός - Περιήγηση

social Twitter YouTube Facebook


 

Large map

0A ammoudi eleftherakis1

view