sitemap contact terms

Greeklanguage seperatorEnglish (United Kingdom)Russianlanguage seperatorChinese

16.07.19
 > VILLAGES > Imerovigli


NEWSLETTER

Imerovigli


History

Archives show that there has been a building network in Imerovigli as early as late 16th century.
It was the receiving for the inhabitants who were deserting Skaros castle and built the monastery of Aghios Nikolaos (Saint Nicholas) in 1816. The village grew linearly along the Caldera rim. From there a complex of narrow paths stemmed following the natural slopes of the ground. This constituted the circulation network of the settlement.
Before the 1956 earthquake, Imerovigli boasted the church of the Presentation of the Virgin Mary, or Panagia Malteza (Holy Virgin the Maltese), built in the end of the 19th century, in Byzantine style. In the 19th and early 20th centuries, large manors stood side by side along the homes of the locals.
The earthquake damaged a big part of the village and most churches were ruined (Holy Virgin the Maltese, Panagia Xeportiani, Stavros, St Anthony the New). Aghios Nikolaos monastery was repaired later on.
However, in the 1970s people returned and started restoring their houses. Many of them were sold in order to become hotels and villas.

Aghios Nikolaos monastery
The initial temple of Aghios Nikolaos (Saint Nicholas) was built inside the castle of Skaros and belonged to the Gyzi family. In 1651, the day of the celebration, it had been decided to transform the temple into a feminine monastery which by that time did not exist on the island. In 1674 it became Patriarchal- Stavropegic. Nuns settled in the building and the monastery operated normally until 1815. The nuns abandoned it after the departure of the last residents from Skaros.
The new monastery was founded in 1816 at the present day's spot between Imerovigli and Firostefani after the Patriarch had given the permission. Its catholic was a triunity. One chapel was dedicated to Aghios (St) Panteleimonas and the other to Zoodochos Pigi. The central of St Nicholas was decorated with a wooden screen, a donation of the Gyzi family. The nuns took care of the transportation of pictures and ecclesiastical objects from the old monastery to the new one.
In 1834 when a royal decree shut down private monasteries and those with less than 6 monks and their possessions were taken by the state, the monastery of Saint Nicholas having 18 nuns was not shut down, remaining the only feminine monastery in the Aegean. During that period even 40 cells were not enough to house the increasing number of nuns, who still used to weave cotton fabrics as they did in the old monastery of Skaros.
In 1849 it ceased to be private but remained in good condition. In 1888 it housed 6 nuns. In the 1956 earthquake it sustained some minor damage. 32 cells that were maintained in recent years are built in a square shape of a Π. Festivities take place on the Aghios Nikolaos, Aghios Panteleimonas and Zoodochos Pigi days.

Ημεροβίγλι οικισμός - Ιστορία
Ημεροβίγλι οικισμός - Ιστορία

social Twitter YouTube Facebook


 

Large map

0A ammoudi eleftherakis1

view